Important Alert: The effects of widespread and extreme cold weather have led to increasingly tightening conditions in Southwest Power Pool’s (SPP) service territory. Currently, power supplies are adequate, but the region’s system will be stressed further as temperatures become even more frigid overnight and into the morning hours. SPP has requested that Members help conserve energy. Here’s how you can make an impact:
- Thermostat - Set your thermostat as low as is comfortable when you are at home during waking hours. Consider wearing additional layers of clothing to remain comfortable.
- Lighting – Instead of lights, use sun from south-facing windows during the day. Close curtains at night to keep from losing heat through the windows.
- Water heater – Reduce the temperature of your water heater to 120 degrees.
- Appliances – If possible, postpone using appliances like the washer, dryer and dishwasher until the weather warms up.
- Devices – Turn off electronic devices and lights when not in use.
- Fireplace – Keep the damper closed when you’re not using the fireplace. Close the doors leading into the room when a fire is kindled and lower the thermostat temperature. If you never use your fireplace, seal the flue.
Please let us know if you have any questions. Thank you for your commitment to conserve energy.